Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day four and still alive

It seems we've got a VBG on our hands - a very brave girl. She's been the brave one from the start, but she took it to a new level today (literally). When I was working in the office (which is where the brooder pen is), I noticed she was perched on the edge of the pen. She's learned to fly! I told her I was very proud of her, then promptly put some chicken wire around the pen so she couldn't escape. We don't need any tragedies on my watch.

The yellow dog is still keeping guard over his flock. While I work, he lays on the bench behind my chair and watches the goings-on in the pen.


We've made it to day four, with all chicks still alive, and we're pretty excited about that!

The Chicken Tenders

3 comments:

  1. I bet the yellow dog thinks you brought these chickens into the house just for him! Maybe he's hoping to retrieve them for you someday (but you'd probably have to shoot them out of the sky first for that total experience...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Anne. He does think these chicks are for him. He is enthralled by them, perks up his ears and wags his tail every time I go near the computer room door. He's a goofball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Snickers--our yellow lab, looks like yours :) What are your dogs' names?

    ReplyDelete