Friday, April 20, 2012

Epic Eggventure


Let the eggventure begin! My city-living family has broken ground for the backyard chicken coop.  We've read the how-to books. We've visited the feed stores. We've studied the online resources. And now, we're going for it. In just a few short days, our tiny feathered friends will come home to roost.

We're planning a small flock, say three chicks. That should be plenty to provide us with fresh eggs. Of course, we won't be eating those eggs for quite awhile, since it seems to take four to six months before The Girls will start laying. In the meantime, our family is sure to be entertained by the antics our chicks will provide.

We have only one small concern. Well, actually two:


It's not the yellow dog we're worried about as much as the white dog. You see, she tends to kill any small animal that moves. The Plan (as we call it) is to try and socialize the dogs with the chicks each day, so they get used to each other. If that fails, our back up plan is something like this; keep the dogs as far away from The Girls as possible.

We'll keep you posted on our epic eggventure.

The Chicken Tenders



13 comments:

  1. Good luck with your chick-a-venture! Maybe you could start with an extra chick or two, just in case The Plan takes an unexpected turn.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did get an extra. I wanted three, but had to buy four. And that fourth one is a brave girl. She's already trying to hop out of the tub!

      Delete
  2. What fun! Urban chickens are so trendy right now; I'm in awe. Sign me up for help getting rid of the nest litter; I always need something to help my compost pile heat up. You could just email me a forkful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! That's exactly where their nest litter is going, in the compost bin. Too bad you don't live closer...

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see this story unfold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. If one accidentally turns out to be a rooster, you're the first person I'll call :-) I hear you have experience in butchering!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like an egg-cellent adventure! I remember my dad doing this when we were little--don't ask! Emma looks so big! and your yellow lab reminds me of Snickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had chicks before. But I won't ask! I'm glad the second link worked so you could see the chicken adventure.

      Delete
  6. That yellow dog. . . . . is he watching and admiring, or just biding his time? A good dog will do eggzactly that. . . .

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your Chicken Tenders are doing a mighty fine job. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete