Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tools of the Trade


I love a bargain. My favorite places to shop include the Salvation Army and yard sales. For the life of me I can't figure out why someone would pay triple the price at a 'normal' store when an item is available for so much less second-hand.

Which is why most of my chicken coop tools cost little to nothing. I spent a whopping dollar on my favorite tool. Yes, one whole dollar. In the photo below, the tool I'm referring to is the little rake. That thing is perfect! It's just the right size to rake chicken poop. As a side note, the shovel was free and the red dolly was from a thrift store and cost around $20. We've had that for quite awhile.


My next great find was my little red bucket I pulled out of a 'free' bin at a yard sale. It's the perfect size to carry back and forth from the coop to the compost barrel. Takes less than five minutes a morning to do a quick coop poop-scoop.


My other treasure are these cute boots from a local supply store, discounted to $14. I've had my eye on a pair of water-proof boots, but I did not want to pay more than $15. Apparently this style was last year's model, so the boots were finally clearanced and I wasted no time picking them up.


The Girls have been concerned lately; something dug under their hen house and tunneled all the way into the run.


I spent a portion of last weekend burying chicken wire around the perimeter of the coop so nothing else can dig its way in. I had already buried wire around the run, but I didn't think I would need to bury it around the coop, too. Now the girls should feel safer!



The Chicken Tenders




No comments:

Post a Comment